We currently have two options for Puppy Kindergarten. Please be sure to take note of which version you are registering for.
- In-person, at our Training Center in Rockville, MD
- Live, online (via Zoom)
In-person Puppy Kindergarten at our Training Center in Rockville, MD
- Fee: $210
- Six, 75-minute sessions
- Puppies should be 8 weeks – 18 weeks old when they begin in-person Puppy Kindergarten.
- Your puppy will be able to socialize with other puppies in a supervised environment.
Live, online Puppy Kindergarten via Zoom
- Fee: $190
- Six, 60-minute sessions
- Puppies should be 8 weeks – 6 months old when they begin online Puppy Kindergarten.
- We will be using Zoom for this class, so you will need to have internet access and a smartphone or a computer. Before your first session, your instructor will send you log-in information as well as tips on how to prepare for the class.
- Instructors will use live demos, discussion and pre-recorded videos. You will also receive coaching from the instructor as you work with your own puppy.
- Join us from anywhere!
- You’ll be surprised how well your puppy can focus on you in your home environment!
- Local friends, consider supplementing online Puppy Kindergarten with in-person Puppy Party!
About this Class:
We encourage you to start your puppy in class early (as young as 8 weeks). You do not have to wait until your puppy’s vaccinations are complete. For more about this, please read the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior’s position statement on puppy socialization.
Many of our Puppy Kindergarten classes listed below have rolling registration. That means that your family and puppy can join the class you choose as soon as space opens. There is a list of the first dates available for each of our classes farther down on this page. You are registering for six weeks in a row, not including class cancellations.
In Puppy Kindergarten, you will: start training your puppy in basic good manners (like sit, come, loose-leash walking, wait, leave it, attention, settle); learn how to deal with typical puppy challenges (including mouthing, house training, jumping); and practice training exercises, like “drop it” and handling, to help prevent future fear and aggression issues. In the in-person version of Puppy Kindergarten, you will also watch your puppy socialize with other puppies in a supervised environment.
Local friends, also look at Puppy Party, supervised play with other puppies.
We use only positive methods – no choke, prong, or electronic collars. Training is fun for both you and your dog!
- Sarah Stoycos (Laughing Dog Academy)
- Lisa Arant (Small and Tall Dog Training)
- Melissa Dilla (Metropolitan Dog)
- Kelly Burgdorf (Horses and Hounds Training)
- In-person version, at our Training Center: $210
- Live, online version: $190
Number and length of class sessions:
- In-person version, at our Training Center: Six sessions, 75-minutes each
- Live, online version: Six sessions, 60-minutes each
Available Starting Dates
These are the first available start dates for each six-week class.
In-person classes, at our Training Center:
- Monday 10:15 am – TBD
- Monday 6:00 pm – TBD
- Monday 7:30 pm – TBD
- Wednesday 10:15 am – TBD
- Wednesday 6:30 pm – TBD
- Saturday 8:45 am – TBD
- Saturday 10:15 am – TBD
- Sunday 4:30 pm – TBD
- Sunday 6:00 pm – TBD
Live, online class:
- Tuesday 7:00 pm – June 7
Class fees help support the free programs and services provided by Your Dog’s Friend, a non-profit organization dedicated to educating and supporting dog parents.
Nonprofit supporting dog parents in DC & worldwide
R+ dog training classes (online & in person), free webinars, advice, referrals