Reactive Dog Classes
We currently have two options for Reactive Dog Class.
The online class is a prerequisite for the more advanced in-person class.
- Live, online (via Zoom)
- In-person, at our Training Center in Rockville, MD
Live, online via Zoom
- Fee: $200
- Six, 75-minute sessions
- We will be using Zoom for this class, so you will need to have internet access and a smartphone or a computer. Before your first session, your instructor will send you log-in information as well as tips on how to prepare for the class.
- Instructors will use live demos, discussion and pre-recorded videos.
- Includes Facebook group for students and instructors to discuss specific issues
- Join us from anywhere!
- Your dog will not participate live, but you will be asked to submit videos and will have homework
About this Class:
Does your dog lunge, bark, growl, or overreact to dogs, people, or other stimuli? Our online class will teach you how to handle the difficult situations that arise when you live with or walk a reactive dog. It consists of six online webinars, and is designed to help your reactive dog become more focused and confident. Registration in the course also includes access to a Facebook discussion group where you can pose specific questions about you and your dog.
This class is not only good for dogs that react to other dogs; it is also the only option for dogs that are reactive to people, including those coming into your home, dogs that have caused serious injury to others, or dogs spooked by trucks, balloons, bikes, or other indoor or outdoor triggers.
In-Person at our Training Center in Rockville, MD
- Fee: $160
- Three, 60-minute sessions
- Led by two instructors
- Prerequisite: Completion of the Online Reactive Class within the last year (see above)
- Not appropriate for dogs who display reactivity to humans
- Class limited to three dog/handler teams. Teams may repeat the class!
About this Class:
You and your dog will build and strengthen the skills needed to work around other dogs. In a controlled setting, and using the techniques introduced in the Online Reactive Dog Class, we will strategize and simulate real-life situations focusing on keeping you and your dog in your “success zone”.
- Desensitization and counterconditioning
- “Look at that”
- Leash handling
- Escape techniques
- Sarah Stoycos (Laughing Dog Academy)
- Marnie Montgomery (Joyful Dog)
- Susan Sanderson (Joyful Dog)
- Live, online version: $200
- In-person version, at our Training Center: $160
Number and length of class sessions:
- Live, online version: Six sessions, 75-minutes each
- In-person version, at our Training Center: Three sessions, 60-minutes each
See the Results:
Latte’s mom couldn’t take him for a walk without him making a scene every time he spotted another dog. Here he is on the last day of Reactive Dog Class.
Please check Schedule at a Glance for days off and the last date of class.
If the box is empty, there are no classes currently scheduled, but you can join the notification list at the bottom of this page.
Class fees help support the free programs and services provided by Your Dog’s Friend, a non-profit organization dedicated to educating and supporting dog parents.
Join the Notification List
We email everyone on the list any time either class is scheduled. You can join the notification list here.
More Help for Your Reactive Dog
We have handouts on reactive dogs under behavior issues, as well as videos of our webinars on reactive dogs. We also have a list of positive trainers, divided by location, and veterinary behaviorists.
Click here to add your own text