We have two options for Reactive Dog classes:
- Live, online (via Zoom)
- In-person, at our Training Center in Rockville, MD (not available during COVID-19)
Live, online Reactive Dog Class via Zoom
- Fee: $200
- Number and length of class sessions: Six, 75-minute sessions
- We will be using Zoom for this class, so you will need to have internet access and a smartphone or a computer. Before your first session, your instructor will send you log-in information as well as tips on how to prepare for the class.
- Instructors will use live demos, discussion and pre-recorded videos.
- Includes Facebook group for students and instructors to discuss specific issues
- Join us from anywhere!
About this Class:
Does your dog lunge, bark, growl, or overreact to dogs, people, or other stimuli? Our online class will teach you how to handle the difficult situations that arise when you live with or walk a reactive dog. It consists of six online webinars, and is designed to help your reactive dog become more focused and confident. Registration in the course also includes access to a Facebook discussion group where you can pose specific questions about you and your dog.
This class is not only good for dogs that react to other dogs; it is also the only option for dogs that are reactive to people, including those coming into your home, dogs that have caused serious injury to others, or dogs spooked by trucks, balloons, bikes, or other indoor or outdoor triggers.
In-Person Reactive Dog Class at our Training Center in Rockville, MD
- Fee: $350
- Number and length of class sessions: Eight, 75-minute sessions
- Two instructors and coaches for individualized attention and help.
About this Class:
Does your dog go crazy every time another dog appears on your walk? Are you embarrassed by the hair-trigger lunging and barking?
Is your worst nightmare meeting up with an off-leash dog on a walk?
You’re not alone! We’re here to help.
This class gives you and your dog tools to go out and about without the stress you’re experiencing now. Your dog might not like other dogs, but by the end of the class, your dog will begin to look to you for guidance in challenging situations.
In our eight-week in-person Reactive Dog Class, you are able to take more time to achieve your goals. To succeed, you will have to do homework outside of class. You’ll come without your dog for the first two weeks in order to develop skills in class and practice with your dog at home. When you bring your dog to class you’ll have the support of our team to safely and comfortably enter and leave the training space.
- Changing your dog’s emotional response to other dogs
- Management techniques
- Preventing your dog from practicing the behavior
- Removing your dog quickly and easily from unexpected encounters with dogs and other “triggers”
- Fun strategies to build your dog’s focus on you on walks
- Building your skillset to increase your confidence with your dog in public
- Reducing your dog’s overall arousal level
- Equipment to support your dog when walking on leash (without using choke, prong, or electronic collars)
See the Results:
Latte’s mom couldn’t take him for a walk without him making a scene every time he spotted another dog. Here he is on the last day of Reactive Dog Class.
- Sarah Stoycos (Laughing Dog Academy)
- Marnie Montgomery (Joyful Dog)
- Live, online version: $200
- In-person version, at our Training Center: $350
Number and length of class sessions:
- Live, online version: Six sessions, 75-minutes each
- In-person version, at our Training Center: Eight sessions, 75-minutes each
Please check Schedule at a Glance for days off and the last date of class.
If the box is empty, there are no classes currently scheduled, but you can join the notification list at the bottom of this page. During COVID, we have been running continuous Online Reactive Dog Classes.
Class fees help support the free programs and services provided by Your Dog’s Friend, a non-profit organization dedicated to educating and supporting dog parents.
Join the Notification List
We email everyone on the list any time either class is scheduled. You can join the notification list here.
More Help for Your Reactive Dog
We have handouts on reactive dogs under behavior issues, as well as videos of our webinars on reactive dogs. We also have a list of positive trainers, divided by location, and veterinary behaviorists.